Club champs finals

  • 28 September 2019
  • Peter Watson

Winners are grinners and there were four with smiles are wide as the Maitai River on Saturday (Sept 28) as the club champ finals were decided.

In the senior showdown in breezy conditions on a well prepared course, Keri Kotua won his third successive title - a mighty effort - with a comfortable 7/5 win over Dean Goodman who was hampered in the later half of the match by a thigh injury. Keri started well and was quickly three-up after five holes. However, Dean replied strongly to get it back to all square through nine. After a flat patch Keri hit his straps with some booming drives to win four of the next six holes to finish the first 18 holes well on top. He extended this to six up at the 27-hole mark as Dean battled bravely to stay in touch. After a series of halves, the match ended on the 31st hole as they went up the hill for the last time.

Paul Tunnicliff claimed his third title in a row ( two junior A and now one intermediate) in impressive fashion with a 5/4 win over Steve Russell (who had qualified on Friday after a 3/2 win .over Graham Eggers). It was close for a long time, with Paul holding a 1 up lead through 9, 18 and 27 holes. Every time he threatened to get away Steve would peg him back without ever grabbing the lead. The decisive break came when Paul - Mr Steady - won the 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st as Steve's game deserted him. The match finished on the 32nd with a half.

The Junior A final was a topsy turvy affair between Bryan Ramsey and Mike Murphy. Bryan raced out to a 4 up lead after nine holes, only for Mike to win five in a row to be 1 up at the halfway stage. Bryan was back in front by one at the 27-hole mark and after a series of shared holes he struck the killer blow on the 35th with a fine putt for a birdie to close out the match 2/1. Bryan's short game, particularly his putting, proved the difference.

It was mate against mate in the Junior B final, which was played over 18 holes. However, Warren Carey made no race of it to shut out Steve Turnell 6/5. Wazza was always ahead after Steve started poorly. 

In the match of the day, a nett round off the blue tees, John McGougan was too good for the rest of the field in shooting a nett 70 for a two-shot win. Maurice Woodhouse grabbed second on countback from Terry Hemi after both carded 72s. Next were Lewis Wilson and Alan Church on 73. they were followed by Tom Weiss (74), Andy Isle (75), Paul McCrae(75) and Steve Chetham (76) with Graham Eggers (77) rounding off the top ten.

Dean Goodman, Andy Isle, Maurice Woodhouse and Winton Griggs shared the twos pool.


Share this post

Leave a comment


Email address

This is never shown to the public.