Club results for May 22, 2021

  • 23 May 2021
  • Peter Watson

There were some tight and intense tussles as the final eight in the individual matchplay were found on Saturday (May 22).

At the top of the draw, Paul McCrae and Aaron Kotua took it to the 20th hole before Paul - who had the advantage of five shots - finally prevailed, winning with a par 3. They traded holes over the first nine to turn all square before Aaron won No 10 and 12 to go two up. However, Paul cut the margin to one on No 15 and then won No 18 with a double bogey to force extra holes. He completed the comeback by getting up and down on No 20.

With Alan Church getting through to the next round after his opponent defaulted, the next pair in action were Lindsay Brooks and Dean Goodman. Neither player were at their best but Lindsay shrugged off losing the first hole to build a handy three up lead by the halfway mark. Dean - who had to give his rival six shots - then won three in a row to lock it up only for Lindsay to re-assert himself when it mattered by winning No 13, No 15 and 16 to stride to a 3/2 victory.

Peter Watson had to shoot 76 off the stick from the blue tees - the best round of the day - to quell the challenge of Peter Green in match full of quality golf. Down three after seven holes, Peter W had to rely on some clutch putting and accurate chipping against the longer-hitting Peter G - who started with a three stroke gain - just to stay in touch as both went out in 39. Two down at the turn, a birdie two at No 11 and a par at No 13 got Peter W back on even terms. Further pars at No 14 and 15 saw him move ahead before he closed the match with another good putt for par at No 17 for a 3/1 win against a doughty competitor who shot a nett 71.

The match between Warren Carey and Mike Murphy went down to the final hole before Wazza won. One up after the opening nine holes, Wazza - who had to give up three shots -  then stretched that to three by winning the next two only to give them both back. A bogey on No 18 restored the margin to two and halves at No 1 and No 2 were good enough to earn him a 2/1 victory.

Andy Isle was another to benefit from a default, but Barry Rhodes and Lewis Wilson took it to the last hole before Barry - who was given an 11 shot start - secured a one-up win with a half. Lewis started the better of the two but it was all tied up after the front nine. Barry won No 13 and 14 to eke out a crucial two holes lead. Lewis won No 16 to stay in touch only to lose No 17. A par on No 1 gave him another sniff but halves on the final two holes was enough to see Barry go through.

At the bottom of the draw, Jack Denton and Steve Russell were another pair who needed extra holes to be separated. Two up at the midway mark and three up with six to play, Jack - who started three shots to the good - had to withstand a strong fightback from Steve who won No 1 and then No 3 - their final hole - with a par to take it to extra holes. The match was decided on the 20th when Jack drained a birdie putt for a two.

The quarter-finals will be played on June 12.

In the match of the day - an Irish stableford - for those not involved in the matchplay, Dave Slow had fun in the sun to claim top honours with 78 points. Andy Isle finished second on 76 points. He was followed by Paul Tunnicliff (71), Neil McLaren (65), Ian Hanford (62) with Rangi Kohe (60) making up the top six.

The twos money was shared by Paul Tunnicliff and Peter Watson.


Share this post

Leave a comment


Email address

This is never shown to the public.