Flood clean-up update and membership help
- 1 September 2022
- Peter Watson
Dear club members and concession ticket holders,
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work through the logistics of getting our golf course cleaned up and re-opened.
I’m happy to report that progress has been made:
* The clean-up has started with a contractor having cleared the concrete ford so it can be used. He is now working to collect and heap up piles of debris on the course. Another contractor is due to start taking excess gravel out of the river and repairing the riverbank opposite the golf shop.
* We now have approval from the council for groups of club and other volunteers to help contractors and the greenkeeper with the course clean-up. This will start from Monday (Sept 5). We are planning a public clean-up for the weekend of September 10-11. I will be sending out a separate email soon detailing how you can help.
* We are making a public appeal for the loan of suitable transport capable of ferrying volunteers and hopefully soon golfers and their gear back and forth across the river using the concrete ford. Ideally this could be a small tractor and flat-bed trailer with sides with a 1m clearance or a light truck with similar features. We would need it for at least several months until some kind of bridge is in place. If you can help let me know.
* We are confident that with the continued support and efforts of our club volunteers and the council that the course can be re-opened in a matter of weeks, even if not all nine holes can be played.
Your management committee has met and decided on the following steps aimed at keeping you as members as we work through this difficult period:
* Your 2022-23 memberships and concession tickets will be extended so you won’t be disadvantaged or out of pocket while the course is closed. So, for example, if the course ends up being closed for a month, then your memberships and concession tickets will be extended by a month.
* Once we reopen, all club members will go into a draw for one person to win a refund of their membership as a reward for your loyalty.
* The management committee will be recommending to the upcoming AGM on September 24 that membership subs for 2023-24 do not rise. We will also be approaching the council asking that concession ticket holders be treated the same.
In the meantime, we continue to urge you all to take advantage of the kind offer from local clubs to play for free at Totaradale, Tasman, Golden Downs and Motueka and for half price at Greenacres and Nelson while our course is closed. Remember to book in advance if you can, show ID and your club/card number and as a thank you buy a drink/food at their clubhouse.
Please continue to check your email, our Facebook page and our website under the members section for further updates and information.
If you have a question or comment then please contact me.
Waahi Taakaro Golf Club
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com